Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Skin I Live In (2011)

 Director: Pedro Almodovar
Rated: R
Length: 120 min.

In one of the most sexually disturbing thrillers I have ever seen, director Pedro Almodovar creates a world of unforgivable fate for those who have taken advantage of the weak. With some of the most gracefully synchronized cinematography and soundtrack since A Clockwork Orange, there are multiple scenes throughout the film that evoke an intense emotional outpour from the audience. This "in your face" thriller will keep you consistently on your toes. Not only does this film have a spectacular back drop in the city of Toledo, Spain; but it also inculdes the likes of stunning Spanish actress, Elena Anaya (Vera Cruz). And for those of you (like my mother), who can't handle a healthy amount of sexual passion and nudity, just stick to The Notebook in the PG-13 safety zone;) However, I must admit that even I found myself questioning my own emotional reactions to the plot as it unfolds onscreen. All in all, I'd say I enjoyed the film, for it produces an ample amount of audience involvement; even though it struggles on the fronts of dialogue and supporting cast. I have always said that the ending to a film is all that truly matters, and this film's conclusion will leave you to ponder about how optimistic you'd be about the possibility of a new life...I think we all need to take a step back and take a good hard look at The Skin I Live In.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers