Monday, May 21, 2012

Rabbit Hole (2010)

 Director: John Cameron Mitchell
Rated: R
Length: 91 min.

In one of the most depressing films I've seen in quite some time, Aaron Eckhart (Howie) and Nicole Kidman (Becca) struggle to cope with the most recent death of their 4 year old son. In most cases I am drawn to tragedy in a film, for it usually accompanies an optimistic outcome; but at the end of this film I felt as though I had lost a son myself. And this may have been the reaction that director John Cameron Mitchell had tried to evoke from the audience, but I personally did not find this reaction appealing. In the hour and a half that this film takes place, I think I smiled (a smirk at that), once in its duration. This film was entirely too disheartening for my taste, and can turn a perfectly enjoyable afternoon and take a big dump right in the middle of it. I would not recommend this film to a single one of my friends, unless of course they have the odd desire to go into a state depression for the next hour and a half. As critically acclaimed as this film was, the final outcome did not make any extreme emotional transformation in me, and that I consider to be a failure on the director's behalf. Definitely skip this one on date night, unless you're trying make a hint at an upcoming break up. Rabbit Hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers